Sunday, May 25, 2008

Olivia is four months old!

With all the preparations we are making to sell the house in anticipation of moving to West Lafayette, Indiana, I have barely had time to sit down and stay caught up with all of my normal things. I wanted to snag a few minutes right now to catch you up on Olivia now that she is four months old.

We begin with Olivia and her teddy...

"Look at us, we are sitting together!"

"Of course, the only way we can both sit is to be propped up against the couch."


So in our family we have nicknames for each other. I think it's because Robby's family always had nicknames when he was growing up (although I have been forbidden from sharing with you what he was called. In fact, I have been sworn to secrecy by him and am never to even say it myself.) So despite this, he still likes nicknames and so we all have several names we go by. Robby called me Sue, Suzy, or Zuzu - long story. Little Robby is mostly called Roo and Chap and variations thereof. Jenna is Jenna-vive (Genevieve) or Princess (although both she and Olivia are called Princess by us). Since Olivia has joined the family Robby has insisted that we have a nickname for her and we have been working to find one that sticks. I think as she gets older we will call her Liv or Livie, but for now we often call her Baby O. Recently we've started calling her "Cheery-O" because she has such a bright smile. Robby has a list of other possible nicknames that I won't share here because they have mostly been vetoed by me. Let's just say that the brainstorming process brings along a lot of very interesting names, especially when it's Robby who's brainstorming.

So our little Cheery-O has been growing and growing! I took her to the doctor for her 4 month visit this last week and she weighed 13lbs. 10oz. and was 25in. long. She was right about average all around. It amazes me how much she has grown! Not to mention how many new skills she is developing. I know I posted last about her being able to roll, well now she is a little log roller. She can actually get places by rolling! The other evening I laid her on a blanket as I sat on the couch to fold clothes, and I watched her roll over several times to end up about 3 feet away from where I laid her down. Little Robby and Jenna now have to watch out because she has become a drooling little steam roller. In fact she rolled a few times another day and ended up drooling on and ripping the pages of one of Chap's magazines that he left on the floor nearby. I'm not sure how aware she is that she could actually go longer distances using this method of travel, but that's okay because I am not sure I am ready for her to be moving much farther.

Along the lines of locomotion, Olivia is learning how she can scoot. The only trouble is that she will push with her feet and end up plowing her little face into the ground. She hasn't quite mastered pushing with her feet and pulling with her arms so her arms end up underneath her when she actually scoots forward, thus her face ends up in the carpet. As you can imagine, this doesn't make her too happy!

I can tell that she really wants to move, but can't and for her that's very frustrating. Over the last week or so, both Robby and I have noticed that she is becoming quite the little wiggler. When every we hold her she goes back and forth between pressing with her legs to get in a supported standing position to sitting down and kicking repeatedly with her legs. She seems to think that she can't stop moving. Sometimes I wonder if she is jealous that her brother and sister can walk, run, jump, and dance and she is relegated to sitting in someone's lap! How unfair! Deep down I think Olivia can't wait to run and jump and dance just like Robby and Jenna.

Another new skill that she is perfecting is that of grabbing. Each day her ability to reach and grasp what she wants is becoming more and more focused. I will say one thing though, she has hair grabbing down to an art! I have to watch out when I am picking her up or else she will rip a baby sized fist of hair out of my head! Ouch!

We have also discovered one talent that Olivia has which is raising one eye brow. It's hard to see when she does it because her eye brows are still so very blonde, but there are definitely times that she does. Speaking of blonde, everyone I talk to thinks that the hair that is growing in on her head is going to be blonde. I am not sure if I am convinced of that yet, but I guess only time will tell. She still has mostly peach fuzz on her head at this point, although there is more on her head than there was a few months ago.

She is also becoming a very social little bug. She loves to have people look at her and admire her and will most often flash a smile for them. Like last week in Young Women's the Mia Maids were having fun watching her and she seemed to relish in all the attention. One things for sure, she wants to be where the action is. As we have been packing our house in preparation to sell and move she wants to be in the room that we are working so we can talk to her while we work.

I was just asking Robby what other things we should tell you about Olivia and he said, "Tell them that she has pretty eyes!" I think that sums up some of the latest on Olivia. I guess one more thing to tell you is that she gets to take another plane trip this week with Robby and I when we go to check things out in West Lafayette. Robby and Jenna are staying in Arizona, but Olivia gets to come with us (since she is free). I hope things go as smoothly this time as they did last time.

I will close with some photos from the last month (you may have already seen them because they are on our family blog, too):





Our first family portrait with Baby Olivia! This was taken by the photographer at Uncle Tommy's wedding.

No comments: